Wednesday 8 January 2014

Research Task - Mechanical/Recycling




Film - Wall-E


I have chosen to look at the film Wall-E. This film is about a small robot that is left on earth to clean up and recycle the waste that was left there after the human left for space because of the current uninhabitability of earth. I have chosen this film because it links in to the idea of recycling and the mechanical theme. Wall-E is a robot and as you can see, some of his parts are exposed and you can see how they work. You can also see that he has been made from different parts, like pistons for arms and what looks like binoculars for eyes. I really like this because I creates a much more mechanical feeling/look compared to a robot with all of the inner working enclosed and hidden from sight.


Game - Machinarium

I have chosen to look at the game Machinarium. I have chosen this game because i really like the art style of the game. I think that this game looks really nice and well made. As you can see the scenery and character alike are mechanical and made of different parts of metal. If you look closely you can see that the scenery has been hand rendered (or at least that is how it looks). I think that this could possibly have done by drawing/sketching it out first on paper and then digitizing the illustrations and adding more detail on the computer. Regardless of the method used to create this, I think that the environment and the overall look of the game is incredibly appealing and really adds to the rustic and rusted feel of this game.



Book - Recycled Robots

I looked at a book called Recycled Robots. This is a book for children and teenagers that includes step by step instructions on how to turn some of the old junk in their rooms, like Legos or tinker toys, into cool robots. This book also teaches about the history of robots and how the are being used today. I think hat this is a very good idea and a great way to teach people about robots while creating them at the same time.


Recycled Robots: 10 Robot Projects That You Can Make from the Junk in Your Room

Art - Concept Robot

This is an illustration of a concept robot. I think that this concept piece is very good. The reason I think this is because the overall design of the robot is different and is not similar to anything hat I have ever seen before. I like that you can see some of the different parts, like wires, pistons and some of the inner workings of the tracks. However I also like that you can see some of the armour.



Designer - Marton Borzac

Marton is a designer that I have found on Behance. He has done research and then created blueprints of mechanical insects. I think that this work is very inventive and inspiring. He has looked at the anatomy of various different insects and then devised a blueprint of them as a mechanical robot. I really like what he has done because you can see the individual parts that would make up the mechanical insect if it were to be a physical thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment